Has your garage door ever gotten stuck?
It’s a super frustrating experience, to say the least. The worst is when you’re on your way to work or school and can’t get your car out of the garage. But no matter when it happens, it’s never a convenient time.
And when it does happen, you can’t help but wonder… What caused your garage door to get jammed in the first place?
So, to satisfy your curiosity, here’s a quick breakdown of the most common reasons why garage doors get stuck.
Top 7 Reasons Your Garage Door Won’t Open
- It’s locked. This is the best-case scenario because there’s an easy solution. Whether it’s a sliding bolt lock, a T-handle lock, or a wired remote lock, you should be able to get your garage door open once you unlock it.
- Faulty garage door spring. Your garage door’s torsion spring is the most essential component when it comes to opening and closing correctly. So, if the spring is snapped or broken, it will stop your garage door from functioning. You will need to perform an emergency release.
- Tracks aren’t greased. Your garage door might’ve gotten jammed because there isn’t enough lubricant on the various moving parts. Add some grease or WD-40 and try again.
- Door is off track. This one will be obvious. When you inspect the tracks, you’ll see right away if one of the garage door wheels is no longer on a track.
- Ice buildup. If the tracks get frozen or a chunk of ice gets lodged somewhere, your garage door won’t be able to open. This could end up damaging the bottom seal or lift spring, so avoid repeated attempts at opening the door in this case.
- Obstructed tracks. Any stray object or debris on the garage door tracks could be preventing it from opening. Take a careful look at the tracks and see if you can spot any blockages.
- Sensor is tripped. Whether there’s actually an object in the way or one of the garage door sensors is out of whack, they could be preventing your garage door from budging.
For emergency garage door release and other garage door repairs, Easy Open Garage Doors is here to help! Call now to book your appointment.