Garage doors are often the last on the list of maintenance items because they’re rarely thought to be a place of potential risks. However, this doesn’t mean that you should skip maintenance! Read through this post for tips on how to maintain your garage door, so it functions properly and doesn’t cost you money in time or repairs.
Inspect your door twice a year
Your garage door is one of the largest moving parts in your home, and it’s important to keep it in good working condition. A well-maintained garage door can last for years, but a neglected one can develop problems that will shorten its life.
To keep your garage door operating smoothly, it’s important to inspect it about twice a year and perform any necessary maintenance. You can do this yourself, or you may choose to hire a garage door maintenance professional. If you decide to tackle this task on your own, here’s a list of things to look out for:
- Inspect the door and its hardware regularly. Make sure all parts are in good working order. Replace any worn or broken parts immediately.
- Clean the dirt and debris from the tracks with a long-handled brush or vacuum nozzle. Debris can cause the door to bind, stick, and not operate properly.
- Clean along the bottom of doors and rollers with a brush dipped in household cleaner. Be careful not to let water get onto electrical connections or insulation on wires. Wipe up any water that does spill into crevices with dry rags or towels.
Know when to call the professionals
If you’re not sure when it’s time to call a professional for garage door maintenance, here are a few things to look out for:
- Your garage door is making strange noises
- The door isn’t opening or closing properly
- The safety sensors on your door are not functional
- Your door’s mechanical reverse feature is not working
- There are visible signs of damage, such as dents or cracks
If you notice any of these issues, it’s best to call a professional. Garage doors are complex systems, and trying to fix them yourself can often do more harm than good. Here at Easy Open Garage Doors, we’re dedicated to providing the Northern Neck with high-quality yet affordable garage door repair, maintenance, and installation. If you’re ready to be impressed by our first rate customer service and unparalleled workmanship, call or email us today!